Sunday 30th April from 1.30pm to 4.30pm
Orleans House Gallery and Grounds, Twickenham Riverside TW1 3DJ
A partnership project between South West London Environment Network and Orleans House Gallery to share the excitement and the importance of nature and biodiversity in Richmond Borough.
Springtime Safari brings you close up to nature.
We’re back again this year for another wonderful activity-packed afternoon of creatures, wildlife, pond life, arts and crafts, and wild stories for children and families on the Sunday afternoon of the Spring Bank Holiday.
* A mini safari around the woodland trail with creatures you can see close up – follow our special map to meet and learn about fascinating creatures like hedgehogs, bees, beetles and eels.
* Visit The Nature Collection, the extraordinary traveling natural history museum with skulls, feathers, bones and curiosities that will amaze you.
* Learn to identify beautiful wildflowers.
* Wild Education Forest School with fun outdoor activities.
* Meet the local voluntary wildlife organisations that help care for wild animals and plants including Friends of the River Crane Environment, ZSL’s rivers and eels project, Twickenham Beekeepers and Sue Kidger’s Hedgehog Rescue.
* Nature-inspired arts and crafts with Orleans Gallery in the Coach House.
* Entertaining and exciting outdoor story times with Richmond Library Service
* Information about how you can get involved with your local green space
There’s lots to see and learn about for children of all ages – and it’s all free!
See you there!
Springtime Safari is an annual event run in partnership between Orleans House Gallery and South West London Environment Network. It brings wildlife and people together through environmental education and creative activity to inspire people to get to know the creatures they live around and to protect and support the natural environment and Richmond Borough’s green spaces.
Since 2013, we have worked in collaboration to put together a free and open to all environmental event with education and creative activity at the centre, drawing people from across Richmond Borough and beyond, with a growing audience (around 600 people in 2015) attending the event on the Sunday afternoon of the first Spring Bank Holiday.
In 2016, we partnered with Orleans House Gallery to produce the Springtimes environment, art and education programme funded by Richmond Civic Pride, Community Learning Fund and Big Lottery Fund Awards for All.
Our programme included ‘Walks and Talks’ in the borough’s green spaces, Species Surveys, an educational community and schools outreach programme, the popular family event Springtime Safari with educational additions such as ‘Microscopes’ and a River Flow Table. Tweet Tweet, an interactive exhibition by children for children exploring birds, bugs and nature was a colourful and inspiring exhibition took place at the Stables Gallery at Orleans House Gallery on Twickenham Riverside, TW1 3DJ from Friday 17th June until Sunday 7th August 2016.