Environment Trust (ET) and South West London Environment Network (SWLEN) are merging to create a unified charity focused on supporting and engaging communities to conserve and enhance the built and natural environment of South West London.
We are seeking a new Chair of Trustees who will play a leading role in reshaping the environmental & heritage sector in South West London. They will lead the merged entity into this exciting new era, influence the organisation’s future strategy and direction, and enable the delivery of greater impact to the communities, environment and heritage across the region.
A new chair is sought that is external to both existing boards of trustees. Both boards are coming together as part of the merger process and a consultation process is already underway to establish a new name and brand for the new entity.
More information about the merger can be found here
The post is voluntary and not remunerated. Expenses may be paid in certain circumstances.
Purpose of the role:
- Hold the Board of Trustees and CEO to account for the Trust’s mission, vision and objectives
- Provide inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees and ensure its effectiveness as a team
- Ensure that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the trust and fulfils their potential as a trustee
- Support and, where appropriate, challenge the CEO and ensure that the Board works closely with the staff to achieve agreed objectives.
- Act as an ambassador and public face of the Trust in partnership with the CEO.
The trustee board meetings are usually six times a year. In addition, the new chair should have sufficient time to meet regularly with the CEO and sometimes other staff. Represent the organisation at various events and meetings with key people. Generate and process key documents and papers.
Location: The organisation’s office is located at ETNA, 13 Rosslyn Road, Twickenham, TW1 2AR. Board meetings may be held in other locations in the Borough.
Please read the full person specification and role description at swlen.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/
For more information on the charities, please visit:
For further information about this job please contact John Anderson, Chair ET on 07951 021655 or Simon Martin, Chair SWLEN on 07913 686647