Up the Hill between the Vestry House and the Travelodge Hotel
The Vineyard Passage Burial Ground (VPBG) dates from 1790 but has been closed for burials for some 150 years and was declared a public open space in 1964. This prompted a comprehensive planting of ornamental trees and shrubs throughout the 1.5 acres site to create a woodland garden which is the green urban oasis seen today.
While Richmond Council carry out routine maintenance work, the VPBG Group of volunteers formed in 1995, under the aegis of the Environment Trust for Richmond upon Thames, to undertake additional work on the care of the VPBG. This includes fund raising initiatives to support the wider aims of providing replacement and new trees, shrubs and plants and the repair of worn and broken monuments.
They meet at 10.30am on the first Saturday of each month to clear the grounds of litter and to continue the work on the VPBG’s detailed care.