We highly recommend that your group takes out insurance if you run activities such as events, volunteer work days etc. This may be a legal requirement if you are running an event on Council owned land. Having insurance will protect the individuals involved in running the group, those taking part and members of the public. This is particularly important if groups are not incorporated (e.g. as a limited company or charity) as any liabilities could fall on the people managing the group and activity.

Some insurance options we are aware of include*:

  • Voluntary Sector Resource – a good list of specialist insurance brokers for the voluntary sector.
  • The Conservation Volunteers (TCV) provides insurance to associated groups who have joined TCV and its website gives a good explanation of the types of insurance cover that groups may need.
  • CaSE, a partnership involving National Council of Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) & Charities Aid Foundation.

* SWLEN is unable to recommend providers that we don’t have experience of using ourselves.